2011年1月13日木曜日

Systemic teaching for systemic thinking 2

Today I want to write English about previous I wrote in Japanese.


Now I'm thinking how to teach medical student from next April. When I can pass all exams, I start to work as a doctor from April.

Concept
How to teach med student systematic to think systematic.

How to do
First I make A4 size sheet which summarized the following things.
Example
Monday: Clinical thinking, Physical exam (Jugular venous pressure, Auscultation to hear sound)
Tuesday: Gram stain, infectious disease basic
Wednesday: How to read Chest X-ray systematically
Thursday: How to read ECG systematically
Friday: How to read Arterial Blood Gas systematically

I can teach one student up to a week. I want to teach them how to make a good habit which make good Bed-side learning after this rotation.

Unfortunately there is a time when I cannot teach them enough. Therefore, they have to continue to study efficiently even in those time. How they to study efficiently then? They read the sheet which I mention the above in their free time, and when I have a time, based on the sheet, I will teach them by power point or bed-side. Of course, I will change the schedule when I find a good educative case.


I think I'm not afford to make teaching resource after my resident program started. So I want to make a imperfect platform for it, and will up-date.

I will teach med students from Ryukyu University a week.
On the other hands, med students who visited from out of the prefecture will rotate difficult department each day. When all junior residents cooperate for this concept, those med students can study all teaching subject after a week stay. We have to find a way to cover all subject. For example, like a stamp rally, stamp  on back of their name tag to know whether the subject finished to teach or not.

Why I think to do this?
First, I'm not really satisfied to the classes before BSL (Bed-Side Learning). It is better for students to learn clinical things like how to interview as professional and how to read ABG, CXR, ECG before going to wards. It is useful for them. Of course, there are many opportunities to study clinical points there. But, it is better for students to study those basic things systematically before wards.
Second, actually when I attend bed-side learning, I thought there are sometimes time-wasting. Preparing teaching resources for those moments is better for students.
Third, I often attend Young doctor's seminar. In my impression, those subject should be taught in all hospitals and by all doctors. There are many participants in this seminar. It means medical training is not enough to cover those subject in our country. It is natural for all medical staff to know those subject.

I hope to be a doctor who can teach med students well.