2010年5月20日木曜日

Offical Dhaka Report 1

This is my first week to study in ICDDR,B (The International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh).

I want to summarize here for my reminder.
Previous one (Personal Dhaka Report 1) focuses on my daily life and what I thinking. Here, I want to focus on medical issue.

1. All doctor make a point of vital sign and physical exam.
Of course, there are not enough medical equipment, but it is important attitude to search a variety of signs from patients.
They check pulse more seriously,
This is my first time to see xerophthalmia (fortunately it is reversible).

2. It is important to check quality and quantity of patients' stool to presume the pathogen.
I only knew rice-watery stool is likely to cholrea.
But there is more information to detect E.coli, Shigella, or Salmonella.
Of course, doctors use other information (like history, general appearance, and abdominal physical).

3. Poverty and poor nutrition state directly connect to infectious diseases and other
diseases.
Normal nutrition people don't tend to get severe condition. On the other hand, poor nutrition people tend to get severe and have to cure their diseases and to improve nutrition state.
We can really know how social and economical condition is important for prevention and healing diseases

4. There are remarkable electrolyte abnormality.
When Japanese doctors found such a worse electrolyte abnormality, the unit would be in turmoil.
I could know how electrolyte abnormality make symptom.

First of all, I have to correct my electrolyte abnormality.