2010年4月28日水曜日

day 16






Today was snowy and cold day.

Every Tuesday, There is Ground Round in a hall of the hospital.
Today's lecture was heart moving and heart warming.
Do you know the following logo? And do you know the origin?

It was about curing and healing.
The former one is focus on disease, Logos. It means logistic and digital,for example treatment, survival rate or so on.
On the other hands, the latter one is focus on patient, Pathos. It means emotional, analogical, for example placebo.
It is difficult to teach the letter one to medical students. The professor believes to teach those healing aspect.

At the end of the lecture, there were a lot of discussion.
The professor told us that doctors who place a disproportionate emphasis on the latter one tend to burn out.
I thought this is because those doctors cannot get their mental energy from people around them, and exhaust.

I thought I was lucky to listen this lecture in final week. Outside was cold, but the inside of the hall was warm than ever.

I prepared enough for my presentation, my script and practice for another student.
I could present better than yesterday, except some words which are difficult to pronounce, for example "epididymitis."
Though I stumbled over those words, I can report what I want to.

In today's new consult, I planned to change antibiotics vancomycin to linezolid for hospital-acquired pneumonia. I suspected the pathogen was S.aureus.
But our boss couldn't find any focus, and decided to make no change for antibiotics.
I thought there was some clackles in bilatereal lung field in ausculation. It was only the noise from his ventilator.
I could learn how difficult to make clinical decisions.

Today's learning point is the follow.
When we see a positive blood culture, the first thing which we have to do is taking blood culture again! Before considering antibiotics.